Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Mac

Day 255: Lovingly nicknamed Mac, my "pet" Corallorhiza maculata is now just past her prime. She reached a substantial height of 20" and bore at least two dozen individual flowers.

Although the Corallorhizas form seed ("dust seed," extremely fine), they cannot germinate without the aid of soil mycorrhizae. The exact process is not well-understood. Some research has indicated that the mycorrhiza aids in breaking down the sheath surrounding the seed. What we do know is that the mycorrhiza is responsible for breaking down nutrients in the soil, converting them to a form which can be used by the plant. Interestingly, each species/subspecies of Corallorhiza is affiliated with a different fungal partner. Apparently my back yard suited Mac's needs. In the thirty years I have lived here, I have not found Corallorhiza on the property, but another thing we know about these marvelous mycoheterotrophic species is that they can disappear and lay dormant for more than 25 years, emerging again only when conditions are ideal. Given our relatively mild, wet winter, I had predicted that this year would be a boom year for mycoheterotrophs. My projection is being borne out not only near my home, but as friends and colleagues report in, the abundance is being noted throughout the Pacific Northwest. Due to COVID-19, I'm forced to enjoy most of them vicariously, but every day, rain or shine, I step out into my yard for a few minutes to tell Mac how beautiful she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment