Thursday, July 30, 2020

Second Clutch


Day 291: I am almost positive that the tenants of the House of Chirp are the same ones who raised a family there earlier this year, despite what Bernd Heinrich may say in "White Feathers" regarding second clutches. He is an excellent observer and knows how to recognize his Tree Swallows by their behaviour, as do I. After the first 2020 nestlings had fledged, the resident pair returned to the box even though they were still feeding the youngsters on the wing. At one point, one of the kids entered the box on mom's heels, only to be called out by dad who was circling. Both the male and the female entered the box several times as I watched, and it soon became obvious to me that they were planning a second family. I've only had a second brood in the House of Chirp once in thirty years, and that was in 2019; this would mark the second occasion if they were successful. As you can see from this photo, there are at least two babies getting very close to fledging, identifiable as youngsters by their yellow gapes. Mom and dad are both bringing groceries, in one instance a large moth, although the bearer flew off with it again rather than feeding it to one of the young (possibly because I disturbed the process by opening the kitchen window). That said, the kids' full crops indicate that they're eating well despite the fact that the weather has been leaving them panting at the doorway. I worry about my "grandbirdies" in this heat, but relief is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment