Friday, July 31, 2020

Down Among The Fuchsias

Day 292: It's baby bird season around here, so I shouldn't have been startled when something moved in under the leaves of one of my hardy fuchsias while I was photographing the flower. I'd just propped the stem up with the stick you see here, not thinking that I might be moving someone's parasol. A young female Black-Headed Grosbeak popped out from under the foliage and gave me an inquisitive look, not particularly disturbed by my presence or that of the scary camera. At first I thought it was an injured adult. Despite my best efforts to prevent window strikes, they still happen far more often than I like. However, the behaviour of this individual was that of a fledgling, and my suspicions were confirmed as she moved around and I could see that some of her feathers were still developing. Smart little girl, she'd found a hiding place to keep herself safe until she can fly strongly. We shared a few moments of eye-to-eye as I assured her I wasn't a threat. I'm confident that she'll be okay, although for a minute, I wondered if I was going to be nursing another Grosbeaky person back to health.

No comments:

Post a Comment