Thursday, August 6, 2020

Closet Archaeology


Day 298: With fewer than two dozen prints left to hand-sew into the Kitty Quilt, I began thinking about my next piecework project. To that end, it would be necessary to inventory my fabric stash to see if it contained enough prints to create a fresh look even though some cats or orange pieces would probably be included by default. While digging in the closet, I found a box labelled "spinning supplies/quilt parts." I knew it held the carders I use exclusively for white wool, but "quilt parts" was something of a mystery. I opened it and pulled out three bags which contained templates of various sizes and...what? Hexagons? Already cut? Oh, boy! This was the equivalent of a prehistoric find! I'm not sure how far back it dates (not having C-14 at my disposal), but I think I can safely say it's been hiding in there for at least twenty years. Some of the fabrics I recognize as having been in the king-sized Memory Wreath quilt which my husband claimed when we divorced (and rightfully so, since it didn't fit my bed). The gold centers would have been cut before I used the rest of the fabric in a pinwheel quilt which my Cockatoo used for a trampoline while I was trying to stitch, providing the upper-end date. Why did I not finish it? There was a point in my life when I thought I'd never do any more quilting, so perhaps that was when I put it away. While it may not be my very next project (I'd already decided on a half-square triangle star pattern), it is now out where it will nag me, and with COVID showing no sign of relenting, I suspect I'll be doing a lot more quilting this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment