Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Fuchsia Parade


Day 297: It began with Genii (left), the only type of hardy fuchsia I knew about at the time. Then as I was browsing the internet for horticultural information on it, I discovered that there were other hardy fuchsias, some with flowers to rival the annual varieties common to hanging baskets. Typical of rabbit-holes, the ground beneath my feet slid away and down I went into a wonderland of perennials I had never suspected of existing. Today, my garden holds half a dozen of these eminently gratifying plants, making me wish I had room for more. Not only are different flower forms and colours available, there are foliage options as well. Genii's leaves are golden-green, while those of Army Nurse (center) are a middle hue. If darker foliage is to your liking, the rich hunter-green headlines the fat pink and purple flowers of Garden News (right). Not shown, Erecta carries its flowers pointing upward as its name implies, Dollar Princess wears a slightly rosier skirt than Army Nurse, and Ricartonii's flowers are even more slender than those of Genii. Genii and Ricartonii also form edible fruits which, although rather bland, would lend an interesting flavour to an apple jelly. Might have to try that this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment