Sunday, August 9, 2020

Hexed


Day 301: Remember those hexagons I mentioned finding in a box not long ago? The ones I said I "might pick away at?" In my copious spare time between other projects, I've managed to piece 18 of them into the "flowers" which will eventually become a Flower Garden quilt. The flowers can be made as large or as small as you desire. I've chosen to limit them to 6-hex print blocks with a solid at the center. They will be joined with white as shown in this demonstration piece laid out on fleece. This will also be a puzzle quilt. During the days of my distant youth, I enjoyed bedding down under a Double Wedding Ring quilt which my great-grandmother had made (I still have it). I would amuse myself by trying to count the number of times a print appeared, taking special delight in those which had no counterpart. My Flower Garden blooms sometimes have a maximum of three hexagons of one print, others have two. Are there any blocks in which all of the prints are different? Are there any which are made using only two prints? You'll have to wait until it's finished to find out! In fact, I'm not even sure myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment