Monday, August 10, 2020

More Hardy Fuchsias


Day 302: I have to admit that I've fallen in love with hardy fuchsias and wouldn't mind populating my entire yard with them, but then, nobody else would have any hummingbirds. I haven't had a clear look yet, but I think I may have Anna's visiting Dollar Princess (center). If so, it would be the first time Anna's have come to my yard. In a recent post, I mentioned that some hardy fuchsia varieties bear an edible berry. Riccartonii (left) is one of those, as is Genii, which is very similar in appearance. The berries are juicy ovals, and although not particularly flavourful, they are lightly perfumed and I think they would go nicely as an addition to jelly in much the same way as rose petals or scented violets do. I plan to collect the fruit this year as an experiment. The larger-flowered varieties don't seem to produce as abundantly. I have never had berries on Erecta (right) and very few on the others. Currently, my garden hosts seven varieties, The seventh, Dutch Pearl, has not yet come into bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment