Saturday, August 22, 2020

Plumming Project


Day 314: It's that time of the year again, and I'd like to give a shout out to a Parkie friend who presented me with two bags of delicious red plums, more than I could reasonably eat before they went bad. That said, I am not one to turn down free fruit, so the question became what to do with the remainder. Plum crumble? Canned plums? Frozen plums? Plum butter! Well, as they say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time," but after tenderizing them and putting them through the food mill, I realized that by the time they were cooked to the "butter" stage, I might not have enough to fill a four-ounce jar. I decided to make plum jelly instead. By that point, I was definitely winging it as far as the recipe was concerned, so I checked my pectin supply, added more sugar, put the jars on to boil, and roughly 45 minutes later, I had three half-pints canned up and cooling. There was a slight over-run which went in the fridge and was taste-tested on sourdough toast this morning. It's a little runny, but tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment