Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Lobster Eating A Russula


Day 332: After experiencing three "near miss" scenarios as I was walking up the highway last spring, I decided to abandon my local rambles in favour of the exercise bike. Now that traffic is somewhat diminished, I thought I'd take a chance on a morning walk. I didn't find much worth mention, but I did see several lobsters eating Russulas. Now before you think I've taken leave of my senses, I am referring to the fungus popularly called "Lobster," Hypomyces lactifluorum. Hypomyces is parasitic on russula and lactarius, and although it's prized by many mushroom hunters, its indiscriminate eating habits incline me to avoid it. Many russulas are boring; others are toxic. I do not know that Hypomyces neutralizes the alkaloids in Russula emetica, for instance, and would prefer not to find out that the host's purgative qualities remained. Likewise, some Lactarius species are quite acrid. In fact, I have heard various collectors describe the taste of Lobster as "fishy," hence its name. Others claim they don't notice a fishy flavour at all. Perhaps the taste depends on the host species. In any event, I like Lobsters, if only for the fact that they are an indicator of things to come. It won't be long now before the first Chanterelles pop through the duff.

No comments:

Post a Comment