Thursday, November 5, 2020

Take A Leek

Day 23: Take a leek...no, take three small leeks, or one large one and...wait, let's start this over. I recently fell heir to three small leeks from a local organic farm and because my previous attempts at making cock-a-leekie soup were almost inedible, I wanted to use them in a different dish. Once again turning to YouTube, I discovered a Greek recipe which I thought I could tweak to suit the ingredients I had on hand. It actually necessitated quite a bit of alteration, so herewith I present to you Crow's Leek-Bacon-Cheddar Crustless Quiche which, incidentally, is quite delicious. Now, to those leeks.

Slice and chop roughly half a cup of cleaned leek. Begin sauteing it over medium heat in 4 Tbsp. of olive oil because it's going to take about 15-20 minutes to cook through. While this is going on, assemble your other ingredients. You will need:

6 large eggs
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup crisped bacon, crumbled
3/4 cup milk
salt and pepper

With a whisk, whip the eggs until they are well-blended. Sift the flour with the baking powder and add it to the eggs, whisking them together thoroughly. The baking powder is optional, but it makes your quiche light and airy. Add the milk, whisking again, and adding salt and pepper as you see fit. Now stir in the cheese, bacon and sauted leeks. Spray an 8-inch baking tin with PAM or similar product, pour in the mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you have leftovers, they can be refrigerated and reheated in the microwave, but trust me, you're going to want to eat the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment