Saturday, December 19, 2020

Winter Hat

Day 67: First of all, let me apologize for the model. My new winter hat was too big for Tippy or any of my stuffies, so you're stuck with the little old lady who, in any event, is going to be the one wearing it. That said, it's not often that I find a new craft which I find as enjoyable as my usual fare of needlearts (knitting, weaving and crochet), but nalbinding has found a niche in my skills database which is likely to be visited fairly often. I love the look of the stitches, and even though their execution is repetitive and progresses slowly, the herringbones and plaits they create makes a dense yet light and flexible textile. If not as versatile as knit or crochet, nalbinding can be used to make sweaters, socks, mittens, bags, scarves, shawls and so on, and its unique look will have your needleworking friends asking, "What's that stitch? How did you do that?" The only equipment required is some yarn and a standard yarn needle, although specialized flat needles made of bone, horn or wood will make your stitching more uniform and easier. I used a 3.5" bone needle to stitch my hat, topped it with a crocheted "toorie" flower and added another one at the temple. You'll also notice that I made it plenty long to keep my ears warm! I decreased stitches in the last few rows to ensure a snug fit. Now I'm ready for some snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment