Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Inspired By Valentine's Day


Day 126: The advantage to hanging a long, plain warp (in this case, a natural 8/2 cotton) on a bird's-eye draft is that you can change up both the pattern and the colours if you plan to make more than one item. In this case, I strung 15' to yield six hand-towels, allowing for hems and loom waste. I finished the second one on the weekend (my "loom room" gets kinda chilly at this time of year) and had not yet decided what pattern or colour to use for the third. Perhaps thoughts of Valentine's Day gave me a nudge, but as I stood with the fiber cupboard door open and the cones ranked on their shelves, an idea began to form in the back of my mind. After fiddling with several options, picking them back when they didn't suit, I settled on a rather simple treadling sequence interspersed with tabby bands, alternating colours every two throws. What might have been a rather boring exercise in shuttle-passing and selvedge-monitoring as well as a less-than-interesting overall design for the towel came to life as a weaver's valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment