Monday, February 15, 2021

Snowflakes


Day 125: After I published the draft for my maple leaf design to illustrate the disproportion between squares on paper and elongated warp threads in the actual weaving, a friend said he'd like to see the snowflake I had only described. I counselled him to patience, knowing what was coming. And come it did, a blanket roughly 8-9 inches thick, demanding a shovelling exercise in order to reach the bird feeders. Most of it is still out there, although it's turned soggy and is busily compacting into a layer of ice. Meanwhile, I'm staying warm indoors, weaving merrily away at three different types of loom, checking my supply cupboard occasionally as I wonder what will give out first, COVID or my supply of fibers. I'm amazed at how large a dent I've put in the stockpile of 8/2 cotton. So for you, Rob, the snowflakes. See how the design stretches lengthwise when translated into thread when tablet-woven? I could weave 1:1 on the floor loom, but because tablet-weaving is warp-faced, it has to be thought out in something closer to 3:1 proportions (the squared-up snowflake is actually 14 x 5 in the draft).

No comments:

Post a Comment