Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Laws Of Weaving



Day 162: This photo is illustrative of one of Crow's Elementary Laws of Weaving. Can you tell what that might be? Simply, it states that whatever your next planned project requires is inversely proportional to its availability. In other words, two-thirds of the threads I have on order are out of stock, the most critical absence being the natural colour I need for the warp of a summer-and-winter weave lap throw. Now admittedly, there's enough fiber here to keep any weaver occupied for several months, and I'm sure many would envy the selection I have at my fingertips, but I am reluctant to put an interim project on the floor loom for several reasons. The first is subject to another factor in weaving: the smaller the project, the greater the waste by percentage. I allow roughly two yards of waste when measuring warp for the floor loom, four feet for the table loom. This is why I usually warp for long-term projects on either. The second factor is personal: I tend to get bored with interim projects easily, and therefore they hang on the loom for longer periods of time than projects I'm inspired to do (like the pending summer-and-winter). This said, I still have two towels to weave on the current warp, so I guess I'll ration my time at the loom while I wait for the supplier to receive their next shipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment