Thursday, March 18, 2021

Number 100


Day 156: It doesn't look like much...a few leaves, no pretty flower...but it is a milestone in my career as a plant photographer. Sanicula crassicaulis (Pacific Sanicle) is the 100th taxon I have submitted to the Burke Herbarium image gallery, i.e., the 100th species of plant, fungus and lichen over a total of 170 photographs under my name. I take no credit for identifying it from the foliage. I threw it at Arnie as soon as I got the photos onto the computer. Nor did I know it would be #100 when I knelt down beside and and said, "So who are you, guy? I don't remember ever seeing those leaves before." And I owe a special thank-you to Kevin for forgetting to put my pizza in the car with the rest of my groceries. If he hadn't forgotten, I wouldn't have had the excuse to go down to Eatonville to retrieve it from his fridge or been able to rationalize a hike in Rimrock County Park (undeveloped) with the logic, "Well, as long as I'm down there, I might as well check on the..." But wait! If I let that slip, it would spoil tomorrow's post. Suffice to say it was a good day, botanically speaking.

Update: not only was it my 100th species for the Herbarium gallery, it also seems to be the furthest east sighting of it in the county!

No comments:

Post a Comment