Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Wild Ginger


Day 140: As an amateur botanist, I am sometimes faced with having to identify a plant which is not in bloom. Leaf shape and arrangement (opposite or alternate) are good starting points, but from there, it gets a little more involved. Does the leaf clasp the stem? Is it fuzzy, and if so, is it fuzzy on both the top and bottom? What about the leaf margins (edges)? Are they smooth, serrated, incised? Is the stem round or angular? Determination of these and other factors can distinguish one species from another, the operative word in the sentence being "can" as opposed to "will." Fortunately, Wild Ginger (Asarum caudatum) is pretty distinctive and since it is one of my favourite wildflowers, I recognize it easily even from twenty feet away. "Oh!" said I, "Look at what I found!" I was not expecting to see it on my hike yesterday, so it took me somewhat by surprise. In fact, I found it in three locations, the third at least half a mile distant from the other two, and on property where (if I were of a mind to) I would be allowed to "lift" a root for transplant to my yard. For now, I've placed it on my mental map so that I can return when its exotic, long-tailed flowers emerge. See ya later, Gingie!

No comments:

Post a Comment