Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Supposedly Self-Fertile


Day 252: Should Hardy Kiwi "Issai" prove to be self-fertile (as it is purported to be), I will have enough thumb-sized kiwi berries to feed an army. However, in the three or four years I have cultivated the vines, they have yet to produce a single fruit, nor have I been able to detect pollen on the anthers. In an attempt to solve this problem, I planted a pair (male and female) of an unspecified variety on the advice of a professional horticulturist. The idea is that the male will pollinate both its partner and Issai. That said, the new pair will not bloom this year, so if Issai produces any fruits at all, they will validate the claim that it is self-fertile. If I can detect pollen on any of its hundreds of flowers, you can trust that I'll be out there with my little paintbrush assisting with the natural process which so far has proved quite literally unfruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment