Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Tarzetta Cupularis' Return


Day 253: Some of my readers may recall that last year around this time, I found an odd little cup fungus which, with the help of experts, I finally identified as Tarzetta cupularis (Elf Goblet or Grey Goblet). It is rare in Washington and perhaps elsewhere, and in fact is only known from three locations in the state, two of which are in Pierce County: this site where it was found by me in 2020, and Pack Forest where it was found in 1987. The species is rather small, as you can see by comparing it to the fir needles in the photo, and even though I had marked its spot with my GPS, I knew I'd have my work cut out for me trying to find it again this year. I've had my eye on the site for a month now, making passes through as I search for slime molds. Until yesterday, I had had no luck. It's possible I overlooked these two specimens earlier because they were roughly 15 feet from my previous find. That discovery suggests that the mycorrhiza extends at least that far, but a further hands-and-knees search of a 20'-diameter circle failed to yield up any others. Tarzetta cupularis is not known for growing in large clusters, but rather as individuals or low-number groupings. Two is cause for celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment