Sunday, August 29, 2021

A Pressing Need


Day 320: My needs are pressing these days, and I am grateful to a former Park volunteer for the gift of his plant press. "I think you'll get more use out of it than I will," he said as he handed it to me, and indeed I have flattened my share of vegetative matter in it, much of which was destined for the Park's herbarium. However, my most recent finds have been outside the Park and from areas where taking specimens is in no way restricted. In fact, some came from my own yard! The three currently contained within the press will be sent to WTU (otherwise known as the Burke Herbarium): Origanum vulgare, Ambrosia artemisiifolia and Galeopsis tetrahit (shown above). When making a voucher specimen, the plant should be arranged to show as much of its morphology as possible. Some leaves should be turned over so the reverse can be seen. If it is in flower, the blossom should be carefully opened out to show the structures inside, taking care not to tear or distort tissues. If possible, a root should be included. It takes weeks or sometimes months for specimens to dry fully. It's a lengthy process, but the plant can be mounted when needs are not quite so pressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment