Monday, August 30, 2021

Soft Light


Day 321: With clouds on the eastern horizon, the soft light of early morning provided an opportunity to photograph the Cosmos. I prefer to shoot in natural light, often using a tripod to obtain a long exposure, and sunlight, although something of a rarity in the Pacific Northwest, makes for "hot spots" on light-coloured flowers. My camera is less sensitive to red and purples than I'd like, but I find I get truer tones when there is a slight overcast even though the greens appear somewhat duller. Now as for the pinkness of these particular Cosmos, they may be volunteers from past years. The package I bought this year was supposed to be yellow and orange shades, and a shorter variety. I am beginning to have reservations about buying any more seed from the company I normally use. Germination rates have been very low for their products over the last several years, and this is not the first time the variety has not been true to the description. It may be time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment