Sunday, September 5, 2021

Bee-have Yourself, Please!

 

Day 327: These days, I give the raspberry patch a wide berth, and with good reason. The honeybees are hard at work, and I am deathly allergic to their stings. My reaction to the stings of wasps is not life-threatening, but nevertheless rather dramatic. I carried an epi-pen for many years and never had occasion to use it because I assiduously avoided confrontations, and in any case, the testing my doctor insisted on performing every few years was so agonizing that if he had told me my only other alternative was to stay indoors, I probably would have complied. Did I mention that wasp stings cause me to swell up like a balloon, and that two weeks later, the six-inch diameter patch of skin surrounding the sting turns black and peels off in thick chunks, leaving burn-like, painful red areas behind?

The raspberries are currently the big draw in the yard, and while I am happy to see honeybees (even introduced species like Apis mellifera here), I cannot feel entirely welcoming. However, once the raspberries begin to ripen, they'll move on, having done their job and leaving me to enjoy the fruits of their labours.

No comments:

Post a Comment