Friday, October 22, 2021

Leicester Lustre


Day 9: Breeds of sheep are generally separated into two categories: those raised for wool and those destined for the meat locker. There is some latitude in those definitions, and some people raise cross-breeds which offer both options at the cost of excelling in neither. When I had sheep, I raised a Romney-Suffolk or Romney-Corriedale cross from which I generally got two adult fleeces from each animal as well as a lot of lamb-burger and chunks of mutton destined to become my favourite soup, Scotch broth. The wool from both was good for "every day," but not particularly silky or lustrous. Recently a friend offered me a pound of Blue-Faced Leicester fleece which, after surveying my fiber stash, I accepted gratefully. I've never spun BFL, but when I opened the parcel and saw the crimp and sheen of the wool, I knew I was going to love it. BFL is a long-staple fiber, and although the breed is primarily raised for meat, the wool is popular with handspinners for its length and softness. Thanks, Shelby!

No comments:

Post a Comment