Saturday, October 23, 2021

Praying Mantis, Mantis Religiosa


Day 10: Had it not been for needing to pick up some work from Kevin which must be completed by Monday, I would not have met his little friend, Mantis religiosa. I have a vague recollection of having seen Praying Mantises as well as Walking-sticks when I was in my early twenties and lived briefly on the east coast, but even though the species was introduced in the Pacific Northwest, I had never seen one here. Thus, this may or may not be a Bucket List critter for me, but as they say, "It's close enough for gov'mint work." Kevin, who has more experience with the insect from other locations, assures me that the shape and size of the abdominal segments indicate that it is a female. I have to wonder if it's the full-grown adult of the little green one he spotted a few years ago, or perhaps one of its kin. Roughly two and a half inches long, she didn't view me as a particular threat, although she turned her head toward the camera as I maneuvered into position to photograph her. What a beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment