Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Just Flocking Around

Day 34: Baa! Back in the days when I had my flock, I was primarily raising them for wool with mutton and lamb-burger as an annual bonus. For the most part, my sheep were "black," which is to say that their wool ranged in colour from dark charcoal through greys and brownish-greys to a soft silver. The natural colours were what I liked best for spinning, and I usually sold my white fleeces to Pendleton rather than keeping them for my own use. It seemed appropriate, therefore, that after finishing an inkle band of white sheep, a herd of brown woollies should follow. Truth is, this krokbragd design is fun to weave on the inkle loom. The catch is that the nature of krokbragd limits the way the warp threads can be brought to the surface to only three options. As I'm weaving, I repeat to myself, "background, leg, body, leg; background, leg, body, leg" as the sheep take form with each throw.

No comments:

Post a Comment