Monday, November 15, 2021

Post-op


Day 33: He's not exactly the happiest camper, but Tippy is home again, minus one incongruously-named "canine" tooth. It's been troubling him for some time, and I thought it was only due to plaque build-up, but when I took him in for his annual exam yesterday, his doctor noticed that the tooth was actually loose. She wanted to remove it immediately before it became infected. There was one particular concern: Tip has a pronounced heart murmur. The cardiologist who examined him at six months old had told me that it would be dangerous to put him under anaesthetic. The vet was aware of this and convinced me to go ahead with the procedure on the grounds that an infected tooth would be equally dangerous (or even moreso), but despite her assurances that she would take every possible precaution with my Boy, I came home last night worried and fearful. A few hours later, I called and was told that the extraction was done and that there were no issues, but that Tippy was still sleeping off the anaesthetic. Another call right before closing time let me know that he was awake but groggy, and that I could pick him up this morning. It will take a few days before he's feeling like himself again, I'm sure. Quiet time is what's needed now, and a lot of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment