Friday, November 26, 2021

Playing Favourites


Day 44: I suppose it depends on which one is in bloom, but I can never quite make up my mind which of my Christmas cacti I like best. Picotee (shown above) and Yellow definitely are in the forerunners, but White is so dainty and elegant, and the reds speak so well to the holidays with their festive flames that I cannot choose. All my plants have been with me for a decade or more. I prune them back radically after each flowering period so that I have space for them all. They spend most of the year in the small south window of my back bedroom, and are brought out to the living room one by one as they come into bud. When the flowers fade, they'll be moved back to their shelf where they can enjoy the cooler nighttime temperatures necessary to produce the best colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment