Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Scenic View


Day 27: The last ten days or so have been rainy and blowy, so when the Weather Gods cut us a break yesterday, I decided it was time for an autumn hike through an area managed by Cowlitz Wildlife and Tacoma Power near Mossyrock Dam. The trees here are largely deciduous: alders, big-leaf maple, cottonwood, the occasional cascara and an abundance of smaller, shrubbier species. The hardwoods often provide me with excitement in the form of fungi and lichens I don't find elsewhere, and indeed I found a few gems during my walk. At some point in its history, this was agricultural land. A barn stood on this hill, as can be discerned from a base of concrete which was never removed. The pastureland below was previously obscured by mounds of blackberries, but was mowed this last summer in an attempt at weed control. Now it affords a beautiful view of the area, and one which took me entirely by surprise as I looped my way back to my car. It wasn't a long hike...a mere four mile circuit...nor one with any substantial elevation gain, but after weeks of sitting, it was just the perfect length for a few rather breezy hours outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment