Friday, December 17, 2021

Summer-and-Winter Coverlet


Day 65: It occurred to me a few days ago that I had put the summer-and-winter coverlet away without taking a photo of the completed project. This was one of the most enjoyable pieces of weaving I've done in a long time, and I finished it much quicker than I'd expected. It consists of two panels stitched together for a total dimension of 60" x 48" (not counting fringe). Although summer-and-winter is usually woven with a heavier pattern weft (the coloured thread), I used 8/2 cotton throughout. It looked a little sparse until it had been put through the wash to "full" the fiber, but in the end, it turned out exactly the way I had envisioned it. If any of my readers are also weavers, they will vouch for how rarely that occurs! The weight and hand-feel of this throw match my memory of the summer-and-winter blankets I had as a child which, I must admit, fall a bit closer to summer than winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment