Thursday, December 16, 2021

They Came Upon...


Day 64: The holiday guests are beginning to arrive. Roughly half a dozen showed up with the first snowflakes a few days ago, and made themselves right at home. They haven't made their plans clear, and I don't know if they'll only be staying a few days, or if some of them will remain to set the stage for the rest of the flock who will arrive some time in the spring. That some of these birds are return customers is obvious: they know the layout, know that perching on one of the shepherd's-hooks just outside the window is the way to indicate that the table is nearly bare. They've trained me well over the years.

They came upon a morning grey,
The Parrots in a flock
And of my feeders, they did take
A very thorough stock.
"Hey, look, you guys!
There are sunflower seeds
In great abundance here!"
And up I get to fill the tray
When the first "CHURP!" I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment