Saturday, January 22, 2022

Mill-it!


Day 101: It's been a while since I found out that Bob's Red Mill produced a millet flour, and I have to admit I've gotten a little spoiled by having it at my fingertips, ready-made. I used to buy millet in bulk, and although I sometimes used the whole seed in crackers, my primary use for it is as flour, notably substituting it for a portion of the bread flour called for in my favourite sourdough loaf. With Bob's Red Mill in easy reach, the last of my whole seed migrated to the back of the refrigerator freezer and only came to the forefront in response to a sub-vocal question about the contents of the container. "Oh!" said I. "I should grind that and use it up." Thus you see today's project: turning four cups of whole millet into flour. It should only take an hour or so, allowing time for the grain mill to cool down between batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment