Sunday, January 9, 2022

The Grand Experiment


Day 88: The Grand Experiment is under way, and if it tastes half as good as it smells, I will be quite pleased. A windfall of medlars yielded eight cups of liquid after being simmered gently for an hour per batch. This "juice" was then frozen to await final processing into jelly. Review of several pectinless recipes on YouTube suggested roughly one cup of sugar per cup of liquid. For the record, I decided to use seven cups of sugar. Now the boiling begins. Once the jelly has reached the "set" point (to be determined by dropping a bit of it on a chilled plate), I will jar it up. I couldn't resist sampling the sweetened juice, and I'm sure it's going to validate the time involved in bletting the fruit in a corner of my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment