Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Age And Infirmity


Day 112: There's no dodging it. I'm not getting any younger, and these last two years have made me more keenly aware of the fact than I'd care to admit. Idleness and stress are taking their toll on my health and stamina, and although I could still probably drop a fairly large percentage of people half my age on a hike, the old grey mare just ain't what she used to be. Hard truth, but there you have it. Perhaps the most noticeable decline is in my joints. No longer as flexible as they should be, they're getting arthritic and stiff to the point that it's painful to hold an embroidery hoop for any length of time. That said, I flatly refuse to give up the things I enjoy just because it hurts when I do them, but when there is a simple solution available, far be it from me to scorn it. I've eyeballed sit-on embroidery frames for years, but never felt I could justify purchasing one. My left thumb recently convinced me otherwise, and oh, what a relief it is! Now I have both hands free so that I can work cross-stitch in the same manner I'd do needlepoint or quilting, one hand above the piece and one below. As an added benefit, the stress on my shoulders is less as well. The base is not nearly as uncomfortable to secure beneath my legs as I was afraid it would be. In fact, I don't even notice that I'm holding it in place. Like it or not, sometimes accommodations for age and infirmity must be made, but now I'm kicking myself for not making the small investment years earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment