Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Phlebia Radiata


Day 111: As so often happens when I am searching for interesting details about species, I went down a rabbit-hole populated with decomposers and emerged richer for the experience. I now know way more about lignins and how they break down than I will ever need to apply in my daily life, and rather than go into peroxidases and protoporphyrins, I'll just tell you that certain fungi such as Phlebia radiata (aka White-rot) produce enzymes which are important in the carbon cycle because they make lignins break down faster. This process not only releases CO2 into the atmosphere, it liberates nutrients into the soil. Don't underestimate your friendly neighbourhood fungus. Fungi are a vital component in more ecosystems than you can imagine or, as I am wont to say at times, "Fungus is at the root of almost everything."

I can't resist giving another linguistic sidebar here because this one should be relatively obvious. "Radiata" should suggest "radiating," which this fungus does from a central point of attachment. The person who draws your blood for lab work is called a "phlebotomist." "Phleb-" as a suffix refers to veins.

No comments:

Post a Comment