Sunday, March 20, 2022

Kaleidoscopic Dandelion


Day 158: Spring is here! With it, the first of the dandelions has opened in my yard and, while not a particularly interesting subject photographically speaking in the natural view, they do lend themselves nicely to special treatment with software. In this instance, I used the "kaleidoscope" feature on a square-cropped image with the flower centrally located. My initial reaction upon seeing the result was, "Quilt!" although it would be horribly tedious to piece as shown. That said, it could be simplified fairly easily to use as a block pattern or, with a bit more modification, as the layout for an entire quilt top. Fiber artists often draw their designs from nature. Photo software gives us yet another tool, sometimes shortcutting a few steps in the inspirational process. No, I'm not likely to be making this one myself, but perhaps my dandelion will seed itself in the back of another quilter's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment