Saturday, March 19, 2022

Success Story


Day 157: All things considered (most notably the 100-degree temps we experienced last June), this counts as a rather remarkable success in my horticultural career. Last spring, I relocated two corms of Erythronium oregonum (Giant White Fawn-lily) to my yard from an area where there are no prohibitions on taking plants. They were plentiful at the site, but even so, I prudently limited myself to two. I chose a spot in the yard as close to their original habitat as possible and they seemed to be doing well until the hot spell hit. The timing could hardly have been worse, and I was fairly certain that neither of them had survived. Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I stepped around the corner of the house this morning and spotted this mottled leaf poking up from the moss!

No comments:

Post a Comment