Friday, June 24, 2022

Sunflower Seed


Day 254: Let me introduce you to Sunflower Seed. That's the name I've given to any number of young visitors who are at great risk of getting their little Pine Siskin bottoms stepped on because they are so well camouflaged against the hulls scattered by the birds at the feeders. My vision is not particularly good, and several times during periods of low light, I have come narrowly close to tromping one of my dear children. Siskins are friendly creatures even as adults, but the youngsters are as innocent of the world as any bird I've met. They often take seed from my palm or perch on my hand to eat, and those feeding on the ground don't seem to understand that the great lumbering animal approaching them constitutes any sort of threat. I've taken to shuffling down the sidewalk, but even so, they often refuse to budge. I'd never forgive myself if I stepped on a Sunflower Seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment