Monday, June 13, 2022

Superstition

Day 243: Although I do enjoy iris, Superstition is the only full-sized one I grow. Why? Because they are such a pain in the neck to keep weeded. The tubers allow dandelions and grass to poke up through while blocking access to their tenacious roots. While it's possible to lift the iris tubers annually to pick out the weeds, the process weakens the plant over time. Having found no other satisfactory solution, I moved "Superstition" from my main flower bed to a spot along the fence where it can surprise me by lifting its rich purple-black heads above the tall grass. In any event, my yard is not about landscaping. It's about habitat and colour. Having come to a more casual attitude toward gardening than that of the "Better Homes and Gardens" set, my back aches less and the birds and pollinators have plenty to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment