Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Goal Of Life


Day 242: The Chickens have been sitting on top of my drier for months now, finished and ready to frame, but I was undecided on how I wanted to mount the piece. My needlecrafts often don't fit a standard frame, and in the past, I've used a variety of ways to make them hangable, including sewn cloth borders with rod pockets or tabs, or sometimes buying an old frame at a thrift store and cutting it down to size. I specifically wanted a rustic look for the Chickens, but since thrift-store shopping is out of the question these days, I chose to go with wood I had on hand, i.e., a couple of lengths of plaster lath turned on edge and carefully, oh so very carefully, nailed together at the corners with fine brads (I drilled the holes first to prevent the wood from splitting). Once the shadow-box was complete, I glued in a line of garden twine set back 3/8" from the front to serve as a retainer. The mounted needlework was popped in from the back and secured in place with a piece of cardboard. Then I added a hanging cord and bingo! The Chickens were ready to put on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment