Thursday, August 18, 2022

Fair Time


Day 309: After two years' absence due to the pandemic, I will be submitting two pieces to the Puyallup Fair (Washington State Fair) in Home Arts: a crocheted maid's apron made from a 1940s-era pattern and a shawl woven in my family tartan (McLeod of Lewis). That said, I will not be attending the Fair due to risk of covid, so if any of my readers happen to spot my work on display, I hope you'll send me photos.

My husband was always after me to put my crafts in the Fair, and I always resisted, feeling that my skills were not good enough for competition at the State level. It didn't help that the submission process was rather complicated (this was before internet, you see), and I didn't understand terms like "division" and "class" in the show context. Admittedly, when I finally broke down and decided to enter my works the first time, I had to have some guidance in order to classify the pieces I intended to submit. Even now, it can be a little daunting. Is an apron a garment or an accessory? I have also discovered that selecting the best option when a piece fits into one or more categories can help bring home a ribbon. So far, none of the pieces I've submitted over the last seven or eight years has failed to win a prize. I have to think Bruce would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment