Friday, August 19, 2022

Inspiration


Day 310: For as long as I have been quilting, I have promised myself that someday I would make a Double Wedding Ring like the one Old-old (my great-grandmother) made for my father and mother when they married. She used flour-sack prints for the piece work and a good quality cotton for the background. I have no idea what batting she used, but it has held up well through repeated washings, and even now the quilt is in very good condition except for a stain on the back. Today, I pulled it out of storage and looked at it with a more critical eye to see how it was made. She used a machine to sew the pieces together and to apply the binding, and from the difference in length of the quilting stitches on front and back, I can tell that she used the same piercing/stabbing style of stitching that I use which, if you think about it, is only logical. She taught my grandmother, my grandmother taught me. If you detect a missing generation in there, there is a simple explanation. My mother preferred making crazy-quilts and applied decorative embroidery stitches to pieces which had been sewn directly to the background material. Currently, I have a nearly completed quilt on the frame, all but two rows of Kittygons made for another, and as soon as one or the other of those projects is done, I will begin cutting pieces for my own Double Wedding Ring, following the path Old-old put me on more than seventy years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment