Friday, September 2, 2022

Anyone May Apply


Day 324: Wanted: pollinators for small raspberry garden. Must be ambitious and diligent, with ability to distinguish non-threatening life forms. Working hours from dawn to dusk. Anyone may apply, regardless of experience.

The present work force seems to consist largely of European paper wasps in conjunction with nondescript menials and overseen by a few bumblebees, but it is obvious that they are getting the work done. Hundreds of pink-tinged unripe raspberries dangle well above the top of the deer fence, telling me that this is going to be another ladder-climbing year. Funny, I don't remember nine-foot raspberry vines from my childhood. Why are these Heritage everbrearings so flamin' tall? Perhaps if I pruned them to fruit twice a year instead of solely in the fall, I'd have a spring crop I could actually reach from ground level. However, pruning the everbearing varieties so that they only produce in late season results in a greater yield. The system has worked for me over time, so I'm not likely to change it up. Besides, there are always more pollinators looking for work in the late season.

No comments:

Post a Comment