Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Dear Friends Stopped By


Day 350: Today, three dear friends unexpectedly stopped by for brunch, much to my delight. I seldom see Canada Jays (Perisoreus canadensis) at this elevation. They are common to the higher backcountry of the Park, and all backpackers know them well as pleading, irresistible beggars. I am almost certain that these three are the same birds who have come to visit my feeders in prior years, and I suspect they are a family unit. They never stay long, a week or two at most, but their presence for even a day or two gives me  great joy, as if they have come to tell me that they are looking after my beloved high country. I see them as bearing acknowledgements from the individual rocks and trees who are my spiritual kin and who know that I am no longer physically able to go to them instead. They bring with them memories of broad meadows, star-studded nights, pure stream waters, rocky peaks, and the better, best days of my life when I could find the precious commodity of solitude for only the expense of a few tired muscles. Would that I could follow them when they leave, for there is nothing so ingrained in my soul as backcountry. But they seem to know that, these visitors from the uplands, and they come to me with their tidings. If their stay is but brief, they carry back with them my love and gratitude for those peace-filled days.

No comments:

Post a Comment