Thursday, September 29, 2022

Baker's Dozen


Day 351: Up until the moment this happened, I thought the Goldfinch Gang only had six members. There are at least thirteen in this photo, and I'm not sure there isn't a wee wink of a fourteenth head showing just to the left of the third bird from the left. These are mostly youngsters, some of which are still being fed by the parents. Their antics are hilarious, little wings trembling as they beg for food, vying with one another for space, learning to keep their balance, and of course coming to the shepherd's-hooks outside my window to remind me to refill the feeders. I'd been trying to capture at least five in one image and had the lens trained on the wire hoping that I was actually seeing six when a sudden flurry of yellow-grey swept in like thick mist. When it resolved into bird-shaped "droplets," there was my baker's dozen in perfect frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment