Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Planned Chaos


Day 329: I'm a little desperate for content, folks. I'm not getting out much these days unless it's with my botany partners or to grab groceries, but as a consequence, I'm getting a lot of sewing done. I dragged out a cork board to help with laying out the Double Wedding Ring because, believe it or not, there is a certain amount of order in the chaos. I am trying to avoid having identical prints in proximity to one another, avoiding placing any two in the same position where it would be noticeable, but I suspect there will be a few which escape my notice. And that, I say, is what makes a scrap quilt fun. I've spoken before about the games I played as a child with Old-old's DWR, but until I began putting this one together, I had forgotten one of the most compelling of my childhood searches: find the longest sequence of repeats. If memory serves, Old-old's quilt has one or two arcs where three prints appear in the same order. They are not adjacent, not placed so that they would be noticeable at a casual glance. No, they took some serious hunting for an obsessive small child to find. And here I reveal another facet of my character which I only recently labelled: I'm a discovery junkie. Whether it's plants, what's around the next bend in the trail or anything else, I'm sure Old-old's quilt played a major role in addicting me to the thrill of the find.

No comments:

Post a Comment