Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Waiting For Waxwings


Day 328: The vigil has begun. At some point in the next few weeks, the Cedar Waxwings should be making their fly-over and will undoubtedly stop for lunch when they spy such a lavish spread of Sitka Mountain-ash berries on the two trees in my yard. One tree is a transplanted native, the other (this one) a commercial cultivar. Other than the native being somewhat smaller because it is younger, both trees produce prodigious amounts of berries, and if it wasn't for those dear Waxwings being on the job, my driveway would be a sticky mess. Trust me, I know. One year, the Waxwings passed over without stopping. When the berries dropped, you couldn't see gravel under the boughs. This is the price we sometimes are asked to pay when we create gardens to attract birds, bees and other critters. Sometimes they don't show up, and then we are saddled with clean-up duties. But for the joy that those Waxwings bring me for the few short days they are here, I'm willing to bucket out berries on the years they miss. It doesn't happen often. My trees are on their map.

No comments:

Post a Comment