Monday, September 26, 2022

The Devil's Due


Day 348: "Are you sure you want to plant this in your yard?" Oh, if only I had picked up on the implied warning in that question, but I had seen Crocosmia "Lucifer" filling up waste space in other peoples' landscaping, and I couldn't resist the bright red panicles. I suspected the hummingbirds would share my enthusiasm for the flowers (in fact, they do), so I was deaf to the cautionary query, hearing only Lucifer's persuasive enticements. Devil that he is, he soon established himself in the flower bed, and it was only after I had spent diligent hours down on my prayer-bones that I was able to exorcise the evil I had brought to dwell amongst the gentle peonies and columbines. But again, I gave way to temptation (encouraged by those sinful little hummingbirds) and in a fit of backsliding, merely shifted the fiend to a new location where he was free to wreak any amount of havoc he so chose. The hummers are happy, and in that, I feel I have done sufficient penance for the transgression of inviting Lucifer into my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment