Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Lunar Eclipse


Day 26: Despite a forecast of "mostly cloudy," I set my mental alarm clock for 1:45 AM and woke up at precisely 1:44 to check on the status of the skies. Stepping out into the back yard in my nightgown, I almost hoped it would be overcast because the temperature was right at the freezing point, but there was the moon almost at zenith with thin clouds scudding around its outline. I'd set out the camera and tripod where I could grab them in the dark, so I retrieved them from the house and threw on a bathrobe, socks and wool hat while I was inside. Returning to the yard, I noticed a visible difference in the illuminated crescent and decided to stay out until the eclipse reached totality at 2:16 AM PST. I'm a sucker for celestial events and barely noticed the cold, only returning to my warm bed shortly after the last photo in this series was taken. At that point (roughly 2:25 AM), a heavier cloud drifted across the lunar face, obstructing it from view entirely and signalling that the project had reached an appropriate conclusion. My profound thanks go to the Weather Gods for permitting this thrilling, chilling observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment