Thursday, December 15, 2022

Hemstitching


Day 63: As a matter of course, I hemstitch both ends of my weavings while they are still on the loom. There are a few exceptions to that rule (notably when I am weaving two layers at once), and I can assure you that it's much easier to do when the warp strands are tight. When a project consists of several individual lengths (e.g., a set of towels), each end of each piece requires stitching. Hemstitching secures the last weft throw against the body of the cloth so that it does not come unwoven. I usually hemstitch over two threads, although a decorative effect can be achieved by working deeper into the woven fabric. Here, I am finishing up the first of two panels for a worsted-weight lap throw. Next, I will advance the warp so that there is a space between this end and the beginning of the next panel wide enough to make a fringe on both pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment