Friday, December 16, 2022

Kumihimo Cord


Day 64: A friend asked me to weave a strap for one of her musical instruments, and although I'm not done with the weaving yet, I decided to get started on the cords she'll be using to attach it. Since I don't know what will work best, I'll be making an assortment of cords in various weights, using several different techniques including kumihimo, as shown in this photo. Kumihimo could be called a type of weaving, although it is more often referred to as "braiding" and is closely related to sinnet-making as seen in marlinespike work, but on a much smaller scale. Progressing around the disk, the threads are brought over one another in a specific order to achieve a pattern (in this case, a spiral of three colours). As each sequence progresses, the disk is rotated in the hand. It's relatively mindless work and somewhat time-consuming, but it provides a nice break from the focus required in weaving the matching band.

No comments:

Post a Comment