Thursday, January 12, 2023

Rank And Order


Day 91: There are several different methods for measuring out warp, each with its own merits and drawbacks. I happen to prefer to wind my threads onto a warping board, although because I don't have a wall on which to hang it, I generally sit on the floor with the frame leaned up against something, although sometimes if I'm winding a particularly long warp, I'll set it on the piano bench and prop it up against the door. In either case, I like to keep the cones of thread more or less ordered by the colour in which they will be needed, removing them from service once they are no longer required. Sometimes it's helpful to leave a full cone in place to hold a nearly empty one upright, such as the yellow shown here which will only be used for two warp strands in the entire piece. I could just as easily have measured off those two threads first and laid them aside until they were called into use, but experience has taught me that no matter how carefully I lay them down, they will find some way to tangle themselves into "warp spaghetti" before I pick them up again. Having to stop mid-wrap to unsnarl a knot can be very annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment